Did you know that September is Healthy Aging Month? This is a time to focus on all the positive aspects of growing older, including physical, social, mental and financial health. We encourage you to celebrate the vibrant, vital, healthy ways we can age and also dispel those old, tired myths about getting older.
Tips for Healthy Aging
- Stay moving. Exercise on a daily basis. Regular exercise can help prevent a variety of diseases and also improve mental health and lower risk of falls.
- Stay social. You are never too old to make new friends. Social connections are such an important part of healthy aging. Reconnect with old friends and make an effort to join new social activities. Some ideas could include joining a book club, a walking group, dance class, volunteering or whatever other hobbies you might enjoy.
- Stay balanced. As we age, the risk of falling becomes greater. Try practicing yoga to help with balance and coordination.
- Stay healthy. Maintain a balanced diet that emphasizes fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
If you find yourself recently retired and not sure what to do, this is a great opportunity to incorporate these tips for healthy aging into your day-to-day life. It’s also important to learn how to say no. You don’t have to do every activity that you are invited to. Take it one step at a time until you find your comfort level. This is really important for mental health as well as physical health.
Growing older can sometimes make us feel down. Slight mindset changes can lead to a positive, happier life. Healthy Aging Month is a great reminder of all things that should be celebrated about aging!
Here are some important health screenings you should do during your annual physical. It’s also good to routinely get vision and balance checked and ensure your home is safe to prevent falls.
- Diabetes: Starting at age 45 and every three years thereafter.
- Colon cancer: Starting at age 50 and every five years thereafter.
- Osteoporosis: Start no later than age 65.
- Blood pressure: Annually starting at age 45.
At Mt. Naomi Women’s Health, our passionate team of healthcare providers is here to help you through this stage of life in a comfortable and compassionate environment. Contact us with any questions or to schedule your next appointment!
The post Celebrate Healthy Aging Month appeared first on OB-GYN Women’s Centre of Lakewood Ranch.